TWO old mooring anchors have been put on display at Moore’s Wharf in Sydney, at the northern end of the Wulugul Walk at Barangaroo.
The two anchors are thought to date from the late 19th to early 20th century and are representative of the “admiralty” pattern, used to establish permanent mooring buoys or anchorages.
The two anchors were found in Sydney Harbour in the 1990s.
Anchors such as these were forged with only one arm and usually were fitted with a shackle at the crown and a buckle attached around the shank, which were used to lower the anchor and ensure setting with the arm downwards into the sediment.
According to the Port Authority of NSW, the history of the anchors remains shrouded in the mists of time. But, potential origins include:
- Anchors for a mooring buoy that was removed from near Kirribilli Point, Athol Bay in the 1990s, or
- moorings set to hold the training ship HMAS Tingara in Rose Bay from 1911 to 1927.
The heritage listed anchors were installed on behalf of the Port Authority of NSW by Waterway Constructions.