Monday 22nd Oct, 2018

Tragedy on OOCL Kuala Lumpur as electrical officer killed in elevator accident

Photo: Bahnfrend Own work, CC-BY-SA-4.0, via Wikimedia Commons
Photo: Bahnfrend Own work, CC-BY-SA-4.0, via Wikimedia Commons

A CREW member died after an accident on the OOCL Kuala Lumpur as it made its way into Port Botany on Sunday 3 June.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) confirmed to Daily Cargo News it had received a report of a death on-board the Singapore-flagged containership at about 0930 on Sunday, when the ship was 17 kilometres east of Cronulla, en route to Port Botany.

“The master reported that a crew member was conducting repairs on an elevator when he was crushed by machinery. Crew responded immediately and emergency services on shore were contacted,” the AMSA spokesperson said.

According to AMSA, the ship arrived at Port Botany at 1140 and emergency services confirmed the crew member, an Indian national, had died from injuries sustained in the incident. NSW Police attended the ship on Sunday afternoon.

The spokesperson said both AMSA and the Australian Transport Safety Bureau attended the ship on Monday, along with NSW Police.

“The circumstances around the incident are under investigation by the ATSB,” the spokesperson said.

“AMSA has issued the ship with a deficiency notice prohibiting use of the elevator until it has been cleared for use by the ship’s classification society and flag.”

An initial summary of the incident from the ATSB said the deceased crew member was the ship’s electrical officer who had climbed on top of the elevator and closed the elevator door before sustaining the fatal injuries.

An OOCL spokesperson confirmed there had been an incident on the ship involving a crew member while the vessel was sailing towards Sydney.

“We, as charterer of the vessel, are working very closely with the ship owner and the ship management company to assist the local authorities in their investigations on this incident,” the spokesperson said.

A spokesperson for NSW Ambulance told DCN that paramedics were called in at 0940 and sent five crews to the port, including two special operations crews.

NSW Police confirmed they had been on the scene and a Police spokesperson said a report for the Coroner was being prepared following the “suspected workplace death of a man on a ship off the coast of NSW”.

OOCL Kuala Lumpur is currently (as of 8 June) at Port of Melbourne’s Swanson East 3 berth, having arrived from Sydney at midday on Thursday (7 June).

Send this to friend