PICKETERS assembled outside the gates of Victoria International Container Terminal are set to move on.
This follows discussions between lawyers from both VICT and the Maritime Union ahead of a Federal Court case next year to determine the future of docks worker and MUA member, Richard Lunt.
Sources in the area on Friday afternoon confirmed to DCN the picket appeared to be coming down.
Mr Lunt is to remain on the company books but a company spokesman said he would not be working and nor would he be returning to the site.
VICT chief executive Anders Dommestrup welcomed the picketers’ decision.
“Our employees, who played no part in the illegal picket, will be able to enter our site this afternoon. I thank them sincerely for their support and patience,” Mr Dommestrup said.
“I also thank the Australian Maritime Officers Union, of which some of our employees are members, for its forbearance.
“We welcome the fact that the MUA will be processing its claims through the Fair Work Act.”
Mr Dommestrup said they would re-open the Terminal as soon as possible.
“We will inform all our customers directly through 1-Stop,” he said.
MUA national secretary, Paddy Crumlin, said an escalation of the dispute had been averted through productive discussions.
“A workable resolution has been reached in discussions between the union and company management which is a welcome relief at Christmas,” Mr Crumlin said.
“The worker in question has been reinstated on pay. The MUA expects that the ongoing community protest at Webb Dock will end sometime (Friday).
“This is a welcome circuit breaker and we will continue to work with the company to resolve the many outstanding issues that are still ongoing.”
Mr Crumlin thanked “the Melbourne community and broader trade union movement for backing this worker in his time of need and standing up for decent pay, conditions and job security for all working men and women”.