Join Our Team as a Trainee Marine Pilot
at Port of Portland
Company: Port of Portland Pty Limited
Location: Portland, Victoria
Position: Trainee Marine Pilot
Are you ready to embark on a thrilling maritime career with a company that plays a vital role in Victoria’s port operations? Port of Portland (POPL) is seeking a motivated individual to join our team as Trainee Marine Pilot.
Port of Portland is located on the south west coast between Melbourne and Adelaide, providing a logistics gateway to the rest of Australia and the world, with connectivity to national road and rail networks.
Specialising in the export of bulk commodity products, Port of Portland services the thriving agriculture, sustainable forestry and mining industries across the Wimmera Mallee, Green Triangle and Murray Basin regions which extend from northern and western Victoria to south east South Australia.
As a Trainee Marine Pilot, you will be a pivotal part of our marine operations, responsible for ensuring safe and efficient navigation of vessels within the port waters of Portland of Portland in the south west of Victoria. Your role will involve:
- Undertaking comprehensive training to obtain a valid pilot license and area endorsement, equipping you with the skills needed for successful pilotage.
- Participating in Continuous Professional Development training, maintaining the highest professional standards in pilotage.
- Applying expert ship handling skills, local port knowledge, and general maritime expertise to conduct safe and efficient pilotage of vessels.
- Completing safety training, emergency preparedness, and familiarisation with marine protocols.
- Contributing to port pilotage management by accurately maintaining documentation and logs.
- Collaborating with a team of skilled pilots to deliver exceptional pilotage services.
- Master Class 1 (refer position description for licencing and training requirements)
- Previous command experience
- Previous pilotage experience
What You Bring:
To thrive in this role, you should have:
- An unwavering commitment to safety in maritime operations.
- A valid unrestricted Master Class 1 Certificate of Competency or Master Unlimited Certificate recognized by the Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA).
- A ‘C’ Class Motor Vehicle License.
- Enthusiasm, dedication, and the ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- During your training, you will be required to reside in Portland, Victoria, and fully immerse yourself in the local community.
How to Apply:
Are you ready to set sail on a rewarding maritime career with POPL? Visit our website at www.portofportland.com.au and download a copy of the position description.
For any confidential inquiries or further information, don’t hesitate to contact Harbour Master/Marine Manager on (03) 5525 2450. Applications must be submitted before 4pm on Wednesday, 13 December 2023 by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org