VESSEL TRAFFIC SERVICES OFFICER – GEELONG
Victorian Regional Channels Authority (VRCA) is mandated under the Marine Safety Act 2010 to manage marine operations and vessel movements in the port waters of Geelong, Hastings, and Portland. The Port of Geelong is Victoria’s largest dry bulk and bulk liquids port handling some 15 million tonnes of cargo annually.
About the role
Based in Geelong and reporting to the Operations Manager, the Vessel Traffic Services Officer will primarily be responsible for the management of vessel arrivals and departures within the Port of Geelong. Other key responsibilities of the role include –
- Dealing with shipping agents, berth operators, and liaising with the general public in relation to the movement of ships.
- Monitoring and regulating marine traffic to ensure compliance with all local, national and international regulations.
- Operating and monitoring equipment for communications, data collection, data analysis and establishment of a vessel traffic image.
- Responding to marine incidents and implementing emergency procedures, including liaison with emergency and allied services as appropriate.
- Maintaining a log of all incidents and all other relevant events occurring within the area of responsibility.
Our ideal candidate will have excellent communication and administration skills, be able work accurately under pressure, and work effectively as part of a small team.
It is essential that you have the ability to operate and interpret monitoring systems, including RADAR, AIS, CCTV and communications systems.
You will also be self–motivated with a commitment to delivering exceptional customer service to all stakeholders.
Marine qualifications such as STCW or relevant professional qualifications in a comparable industry such as Air Traffic Control would be advantageous.
You will need a V-103/1 VTS Operator Certificate, local knowledge endorsement and radio operator certificate of proficiency. Candidates holding these certificates will be viewed favourably, however these certificates can be obtained during the initial training period.
As a permanent full time role, the salary range starts at $149,842 per annum during training plus superannuation and is inclusive of allowances.
Please send your application for this role including resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Only candidates who have the right to work in Australia will be considered.
Applications close on 4 June 2021