IN ANOTHER blow to Australian grain growers and exporters China has imposed a total ban on all barley imports from WA’s CBH Group, Australia’s biggest shipper of the commodity.
CBH has today (September 2) confirmed overnight media reports, saying it has been advised by the Australian Government that the General Administration of Customs of the People’s Republic of China had notified that several CBH barley cargoes, that had already been discharged in China, did not meet phytosanitary requirements. Accordingly, CBH Marketing and Trading (CBH Grain Pty Ltd) has been suspended from exporting barley to China, effective from September 1, 2020.
In a message to growers chief marketing and trading officer Jason Craig said CBH had not found any evidence to support these claims. “The cargoes were all retested and it was confirmed that all cargoes met Australian Government phytosanitary export requirements,” Mr Craig said.
“CBH is therefore extremely disappointed the suspension has been put in place and will continue to work with the Australian Government to challenge the suspension.
“Unfortunately this situation follows the application of significant anti-dumping and countervailing tariffs placed on all Australian barley exports by the Ministry of Commerce People’s Republic of China (MOFCOM) in May. These tariffs have already restricted Australian barley sales into the Chinese market.”
According to newsagency Reuters, Australia is expected to produce about 10.6 million tonnes of barley this year, with CBH on course to handle about 30%. China had until recently bought as much as 70% of Australia’s barley exports.