A SYDNEY man has been charged with importing 233 kilograms of meth into Australia in a shipping container.
In March this year the Australian Border Force examined a container shipped from China which was filled with 10 boxes described as structural supports.
However, inspection of the boxes revealed a white powdered substance secreted inside the consignment.
Australian Federal Police forensic officers then carried out a detailed investigation of the shipment which revealed it contained $70 million worth of methamphetamine.
A two-month AFP investigation resulted in the execution of a search warrant at the home of a 35-year-old man in Auburn on Thursday 16 June.
Officers also seized evidence including documentation and email account details which they will allege links the man to the shipment.
Detective superintendent Matthew Ciantar said operations such as this send a message that Australia is “not an easy target” for criminals attempting to import drugs.
“Despite efforts by criminal networks to evade detection, authorities are continuing to identify and disrupt the syndicates who attempt to break Australian law,” Mr Ciantar said.
“The AFP and our partners will continue to stop these harmful drugs from reaching the streets and affecting the communities in which we all live and work.”
ABF commander trade and travel east Sue Drennan said the outcome serves as a warning to people considering importing drugs into Australia.
“ABF officers are on the front line every single day ensuring Australia’s borders are protected from criminals attempting to import drugs and threaten the safety of our community,” Ms Drennan said.
“To those who think they will get away with this crime, know that we are working closely with law enforcement partners to ensure you will not.”
The man is understood to have faced Downing Centre Local Court on Friday last week. The maximum penalty for his offences is life imprisonment.