A MELBOURNE man who was arrested as part of Operation Ironside has been sentenced to eight years imprisonment for importing methamphetamine, cocaine and dealing in the proceeds of crime.

The Lalor man was arrested in May last year after police intelligence linked him to the attempted importation of two kilograms of cocaine from Germany.

Officers from the Victorian Joint Organised Crime Taskforce searched his vehicle and home, where they seized several mobile devices, cannabis plants, 800 grams of methamphetamine, false identification documents and drug paraphernalia.

AFP Commander Raegan Stewart said the AFP worked with state and territory partners to arrest alleged criminals based on intelligence gathered as part of Operation Ironside well before the operation was announced publicly in June last year.

“This information prevented drugs from entering Australia, from organised hits being carried out and protected the wider Australian community from the reach of organised crime.” Commander Stewart said.


Victoria Police Acting Commander, crime command, Peter Brigham said the success of the operation again highlights what can be achieved through the commitment of law enforcement agencies to pool their resources and expertise.

“Each of the agencies bring their own particular strengths to combat the growing availability of drugs – and consequently, the harm caused by drugs,” he said.

“Victoria Police will continue to collaborate extensively with our law enforcement partners to ensure those who bring that harm to our state are held to account, and that those serious and organised crime groups involved in the trafficking of illicit drugs are strongly and deliberately targeted.”

The man pleaded guilty on 23 March to six offences including importing, and attempting to import, a marketable quantity of illicit drugs, dealing with proceeds of crime and failing to comply with an order.

He was sentenced to eight years and six months imprisonment and will remain in the hoosegow for a non-parole period of five years.