News

No deal from BHP Pilbara and unions talks

Written by Allen Newton | Aug 18, 2026, 11:16:22 PM

NEGOTIATIONS between BHP and Pilbara port workers have again ended without resolution, following a FairWorkCommission hearing on18August that failed to produce agreement on pay and conditions for hundreds of employees at PortHedland.

The Combined BHP Ports Unions said the company’s latest offer “did not adequately address the concerns of the people whose hard work generated that$13billion profit", confirming that members would now consider counter‑proposals and further protected action if progress stalled.

BHP told Reuters it remained “committed to bargaining in good faith” and believed the Commission process was the best path to a fair outcome.

The miner has proposed a 16% pay increase over fouryears, alongside higher allowances and roster adjustments.

The hearing marked the twelfth formal meeting since negotiations began inOctober2025.

The dispute covers about 450 operators and maintenance workers at PortHedland, with separate stoppages by high‑voltage crews near Newman earlier this month.

Unions argue the proposed enterprise agreement fails to address inconsistent job classifications and conditions across Pilbara sites.

BHP maintains port throughput remains stable, though unions claim recent 48‑hour stoppages caused significant disruption.

Both sides are scheduled to return to the Commission on 25August2026.

The dispute has become one of the most significant industrial actions in the Pilbara in decades, affecting operations at the world’s largest iron‑ore export hub.