THE Transport Workers’ Union has issued a statement appealing to industrial relations minister Christian Porter, to meet with Jetstar workers.
The union wrote to the minister at the weekend thanking him for calling for talks to resume, which the union claims were broken off by Jetstar last Monday when they gave a “final offer” to workers and announced they would force a vote on agreement.
TWU national secretary Michael Kaine said workers were keen to meet Mr Porter to explain their situations.
“Workers were delighted to hear the minister had intervened and called for talks to get back on track: this is exactly what workers want to see as well.
“They also want to explain to him how they are the face of the issues his government is also grappling with, namely under-employment and low wage growth.
“With many Jetstar workers guaranteed no more than 20 hours a week. They are struggling to pay bills and support their families,” Mr Kaine said.
The TWU says this is “not a pay dispute”, rather a “battle against under-employment and a battle for decent jobs at the airport”.
Jetstar has reportedly rejected workers’claims for a guaranteed minimum 30 hours a week, stable rosters that don’t constantly change, a commitment to engage Jetstar employees rather than labour hire workers and appropriate pay rates for workers continually performing higher duties.
The TWU claims that Jetstar workers have already been told they will not receive the bonus Qantas announced after its $1.3bn profit last year because of their strike action in December.