AN EFFORT by stevedore Hutchison Port Holdings to prevent work bans at its Sydney and Brisbane terminals has failed.

The work bans, organised by the Maritime Union, are set to start on Thursday 17 January following a breakdown in negotiations between the parties.

A hearing before the Fair Work Commission in Sydney this week brought on by Hutchison sought to prevent the bans, however a spokesman for the company confirmed they had been unsuccessful.

A Hutchison spokesman told Daily Cargo News the company would be “closely monitoring the impact of the bans before considering its next options”.

ADVERTISEMENT

Earlier in the week, the MUA (now part of the larger CFMMEU) accused Hutchison of “launching the most severe attack on waterfront conditions in a generation”.

MUA Assistant National Secretary Warren Smith said the attempt by Hutchison to cut pay and conditions of Australian workers left them with no choice but to take industrial action.

“The world’s largest stevedore, the same company that sacked 97 workers by text message in 2015, is now telling its Australian workforce that it wants to slash their wages and conditions,” Mr Smith said.

ADVERTISEMENT