The impact of the coronavirus pandemic on commercial shipping remains the object of daily management by Maritime Safety Queensland.

In its weekly update, issued on Friday, MSQ reported on COVID-19 activity with five different vessels off or at three Queensland ports:

Bulk carrier Globe Electra (IMO 9483827, Marshall Is flag; at anchor off Townsville) – Three personnel who were onboard the vessel returned positive COVID-19 tests. Two crew members has since been able to return to the vessel. As of Friday one crew member remained in Townsville hospital under treatment. All other crew have returned two negative tests in the past 14 days. A third round of testing was conducted on Thursday August 27, with all crew reporting negative results. 

Bulk carrier Kilian Oldendorff  (IMO 9863089, Liberia flag) – All crew were tested for COVID-19 while the ship was at anchor off Hay Point August 16; all were negative and the vessel berthed, loaded and departed August 23. 


Bulk carrier Western Miami (IMO 9743215, Philippine flag; at anchor off Hay Point) – Testing of entire 21 crew occurred August 19 after one crew member displayed potential COVID symptoms prior to arriving in QLD waters. Two crew members were subsequently found to be positive, the remaining 19 seafarers tested negative. As of Friday two crew members remain in hospital, both have been re-tested and are still COVID-19 positive, the remaining 19 crew continue to be monitored. 

MPP/heavy-lift vessel AAL Newcastle (IMO 9498482, Liberia flag) – Was held at anchor off Townsville August 20 due to a possible COVID-19 case; crew member was tested and returned a negative result, vessel subsequently sailed to Brisbane.

Containership Xin Yan Tai (IMO 9304801, PRC flag) – While alongside at Fisherman Islands, Brisbane, ship requested medical assistance for a crew member who had acute abdominal pain and high temperature when entering port on August 28. MSQ and QLD Health arranged medivac and treatment ashore. Crew member subsequently returned a negative COVID test and was treated for the initial abdominal complaint. Vessel was placed in temporary quarantine but released and sailed August 30 for Xiamen.