CRUISE ship Brilliance of the Seas is undergoing repairs in Newcastle after a technical issue forced the truncation of its summer season in Australia and the South Pacific.

The 2100-pax Royal Caribbean International vessel, built in 2002, was forced to abandon an 11-night voyage to the South Pacific islands three days after its 19 March departure from Sydney’s Overseas Passenger Terminal at Circular Quay.

A 5-night cruise to Tasmania that was due to depart on 30 March has also been cancelled.

US-based Cruise Industry News reported that in a statement sent to guests, Royal Caribbean said that the first sailing was cut short on 22 March, while the second sailing is no longer taking place.

“As you may know, the Brilliance of the Seas experienced a technical issue on its last sailing, and we’re returning early to begin required maintenance,” the company said.

“Our crew has started working on restoring the system and we’re deploying the best experts. Despite our efforts, we are unable to complete the needed repairs to be ready in time on 30 March.”

Passengers who were set to take that cruise will receive a full refund, the company said, in addition to a 50 percent Future Cruise Credit (FCC) that can be used toward any future sailing departing within one year.

Guests will also be reimbursed for non-refundable, pre-purchased travel fees incurred, such as flight, hotel, train tickets or car rentals, and RCI will cover up to $250 per guest for domestic changes, and up to $400 per guest for international changes.

Passengers affected by the termination of the previous cruise are also set to receive a 50% FCC, the company said.

Brilliance of the Seas was relocated from Sydney to Newcastle yesterday [27 March]. At the conclusion of its first ANZ season it is due to depart for Hawaii on 12 April before continuing to Canada and operating a northern summer programme in Alaska.

The Sydney Morning Herald has reported that Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines’ Borealis suffered a blackout in Sydney Harbour’s west channel approaching South Head on 28 February.

The ship had departed White Bay cruise terminal at 2350 and had a pilot on board when it lost power around 20 minutes later. According to the SMH it drifted for 1.6 km before anchoring while repairs were undertaken. It then resumed its round-the-world cruise.