NORTH Queensland Bulk Ports has announced a $10-million investment to upgrade to pipeline facilities at the Port of Mackay.

The pipelines set for an upgrade are used to supply ethanol, water, diesel and petroleum to ships berthed at Wharf 1.

“This project will see the replacement and undergrounding of around one kilometre of pipeline infrastructure,” NQBP CEO Brendan Webb said.

“This project aims to provide greater resilience to the overall infrastructure and ensure the longevity of the pipeline system,” he said.

NQBP awarded the project contract to local company Wisely Group.

Wisely plans to be onsite within the next month with construction expected to be completed in early 2025.

“We are thrilled to have been selected by NQBP for this crucial project at Mackay Harbour,” Wisely Group account manager ports and infrastructure Rodney Parfitt said.

“This contract underscores our expertise in port infrastructure upgrades and commitment to providing sustainable and reliable solutions,” he said.

“We look forward to collaborating with NQBP and delivering a project that will contribute to the regional economy and improve the efficiency of port operations at Mackay Harbour.”

Fuel is Port of Mackay’s largest commodity by volume, with almost 1.6 million tonnes passing through the port in the 2022/23 financial year.

About 90% of this fuel is transported for use at mines located in the Bowen Basin, with the remaining 10% distributed to local fuel stations.

Mr Webb said the port has already clocked up 2.46 million tonnes of cargo this financial year, surpassing throughput in the same period of the previous financial year (2,070,495).

“The strong trade performance at the Port of Mackay reflects its pivotal role as a leading service centre for agricultural and mining industries,” Mr Webb said.

“The port provides an essential connection between regional Queensland and the world boasting trading links to neighbouring countries in Asia as well as New Zealand and North America.

“We’re continuing to invest in Port of Mackay infrastructure to boost our capabilities.”