AUSTRALIA’S top exporters were recognised at the 57th Australian Export Awards in Parliament House, Canberra this week.
Thirteen businesses from around Australia were awarded for outstanding export achievements including the 2019 Australian Exporter of the Year – Populous – for its work in sport and entertainment venue design.
Trade minister Simon Birmingham congratulated Brisbane company Populous for winning the top award of 2019 Australian Exporter of the Year.
“Populous is a business with a world-renowned ability for designing iconic venues across the globe such as Suncorp Stadium in Brisbane, Tottenham Hotspur Stadium in London and the Yankee Stadium in New York,” Mr Birmingham said.
“This is an outstanding story of a company that over two decades through expanding into overseas markets has transformed into a powerhouse within its industry and is a standout example of our growing services sector.”
Mr Birmingham said this year’s awards recognised the enormous contribution exporters made to Australia with the 94 finalists generating more than $7.8bn in export sales.
“This year’s award winners are from the city, outback and bush, and span a range of sectors from businesses exporting designer mattresses, essential oils, aerospace parts, animation services and underwear,” Mr Birmingham said.
According to Mr Birmingham’s office, businesses that export hire 23% more staff, pay 11% higher wages and have labour productivity that is 13% higher than non-exporting firms,” he said.
“That’s why we continue to back our 53 000 exporters by providing more opportunities through expanding our network of free trade agreements.”
Austrade chief executive Dr Stephanie Fahey said the Australian Export Awards offered an opportunity to recognise the success of Australian businesses.
“The 57th Australian Export Awards, co-presented by Austrade and the Australian Chamber of Commerce and Industry, recognises and honours Australian companies engaged in international business who have carved out opportunities in a highly competitive global trading environment,” Dr Fahey said.
Australian animation company, Animal Logic, was inducted into the Australian Export Awards Hall of Fame as they won the Creative Industries category three times.
Founded in 1991, Animal Logic is recognised as one of the world’s leading independent creative digital studios, producing award winning design, visual effects and animation for over 25 years.
The winners were:
- Australian Exporter of the Year and Professional Services Award Winner, Populous – Brisbane (QLD)
- Agribusiness, Food and Beverages Award – Essence Group, Greenwich, Sydney & Nowra (NSW)
- Creative Industries Award – Rising Sun Pictures, Adelaide (SA)
- E-commerce Award – Swisse Wellness, Melbourne (VIC)
- Emerging Exporter Award – Koala, Alexandria, Sydney (NSW)
- International Education and Training Award – The University of Adelaide, Adelaide (SA)
- International Health Award – Leica Biosystems, Mount Waverley, Melbourne (VIC)
- Manufacturing and Advanced Materials Award – Marand Precision Engineering, Moorabbin, Melbourne (VIC)
- Minerals, Energy and Related Services Award – Microbiogen, Lane Cove, Sydney (NSW)
- Regional Exporter Award – Care Essentials, Geelong North (VIC)
- Small Business Award – Dutjahn Sandalwood Oils, Osborne Park, Perth (WA)
- Sustainability Award – Modibodi, Balmain, Sydney (NSW)
- Technology and innovation Award – Seeing Machines, Fyshwick, Canberra (ACT).