US TERMINAL operator Total Terminals International has announced it has set a new record for the highest volume of container movements on a single ship.

That record was set at Pier T in Long Beach on June 8.

Container ship MSC Sveva (IMO 9708681) helped TTI achieve the record, with 17,080 containers handled – the equivalent of 30,744 TEU – which is the highest volume achieved in North America.

MSC Sceva at berth. Credit: MSC and TTI

MSC Sveva is flagged in Panama and was launched in 2015.

The ship was operated on with seven ship-to-shore cranes, up to 250 containers an hour handled.

According to TTI, the volume of 30,744 TEU exceeds similar records that were recently set in ports like Gdansk (Poland) or Antwerp (Belgium), whose records currently stand at 20,081 TEU and 13,405 TEU respectively.

Check out some footage of the MSC Sveva off Felixstowe, UK, in 2019. Credit: YouTube

TTI previously broke the American productivity record in May 2018, when it handled 564 containers with a single crane in one shift.


“We are motivated by the opportunity to service these mega-class vessels while continuing to provide the level of service our customers expect and deserve,” said TTI vice president of operations Dan Bergman.

TTI is 80% owned by Terminal Investment Limited, a subsidiary of MSC Group, with the remaining 20% owned by Hyundai Merchant Marine CO.